Self-Destructive Man.
Apologies for the delay. This post has taken a while to write because my work is taking a while to do.
I've been trying to use Adobe Flash to create a rotoscoped version of a short guitar clip that I found on YouTube (credit to Ben Tanen for some great work, I can't thank you enough). It's being a challenge to say the least. First of all, I had trouble getting the video into Flash in the first place. After using an online converter to switch the video into .mp4 format, I tried to use Adobe Media Encoder to change the mp4 file into a .flv file (Flash video). It just so happens that the .flv file format is becoming obsolete. As is Flash itself. Great.
However, thanks to some help from my friendly neighbourhood technician, the file was transferred into Flash in some manner (I didn't ask, I was too grateful to mind). Then I started the rotoscoping process - painstakingly tracing over each shape in each frame of the video to create the distinctive style.
You may be wondering why I would ever subject myself to such pain. Well, my friends, you always have to suffer for your art, and it seems that the more awesome the end result looks, the more you must suffer. Call me a self-destructive man, but Waking Life (which is one of the films that inspired me to integrate the rotoscoping technique) took forever to make and is heralded as one of the greatest artistic movies. If you haven't heard of it, click the links above.
Anyway, while the process is rather slow, it's going well and I'm really pleased with the results. Full colour definitely merits the final product, and I'm glad that I took the extra time to add the minimal tones and shades which define cel shading. I also think that my intended mixture of animated and real-life footage (as mentioned in my previous post) will give my guitar documentary some added punch whilst displaying my newly-learned skills.
I would very much have liked to throw some GIFs of my rotoscoping so far into this blog post, but I've developed a very rational hatred of certain file types...
So I'm afraid you'll have to make do with my static, cel shaded study of the mighty Jimi Hendrix, made in Adobe Illustrator using an image from Google as a template. Enjoy!
I've been trying to use Adobe Flash to create a rotoscoped version of a short guitar clip that I found on YouTube (credit to Ben Tanen for some great work, I can't thank you enough). It's being a challenge to say the least. First of all, I had trouble getting the video into Flash in the first place. After using an online converter to switch the video into .mp4 format, I tried to use Adobe Media Encoder to change the mp4 file into a .flv file (Flash video). It just so happens that the .flv file format is becoming obsolete. As is Flash itself. Great.
However, thanks to some help from my friendly neighbourhood technician, the file was transferred into Flash in some manner (I didn't ask, I was too grateful to mind). Then I started the rotoscoping process - painstakingly tracing over each shape in each frame of the video to create the distinctive style.
You may be wondering why I would ever subject myself to such pain. Well, my friends, you always have to suffer for your art, and it seems that the more awesome the end result looks, the more you must suffer. Call me a self-destructive man, but Waking Life (which is one of the films that inspired me to integrate the rotoscoping technique) took forever to make and is heralded as one of the greatest artistic movies. If you haven't heard of it, click the links above.
Anyway, while the process is rather slow, it's going well and I'm really pleased with the results. Full colour definitely merits the final product, and I'm glad that I took the extra time to add the minimal tones and shades which define cel shading. I also think that my intended mixture of animated and real-life footage (as mentioned in my previous post) will give my guitar documentary some added punch whilst displaying my newly-learned skills.
I would very much have liked to throw some GIFs of my rotoscoping so far into this blog post, but I've developed a very rational hatred of certain file types...
So I'm afraid you'll have to make do with my static, cel shaded study of the mighty Jimi Hendrix, made in Adobe Illustrator using an image from Google as a template. Enjoy!

Comments
Post a Comment