Phew!
And we have come to the end of Visual Communication. It's been a pretty crazy ride, but I have thoroughly enjoyed every second of this double-project, um, project. Found myself working backwards at times (having to complete some artist research halfway through), but I am massively pleased with the end result of both projects.
I had to scale back my graphics ideas in particular, using less detailed drawings and more shapes to give a better "graphic" and "branded" feel, which made my packaging look more official, professional and a lot less cluttered. Then there was the little hurdle of Creative Suite, where I had to frantically remember everything I'd learned from my work experience in order to get the final design I was looking for. I still think I could've made a tonne of improvements, but three weeks is not a long time, and graphic design is hard.
As for my editorial illustration, things were pretty smooth from the off. It was great coming up with the main element of my final design when I drew up my initial ideas - I doubt I would have finished within the time limit if things had happened differently. This meant that most of my time was spent tweaking, changing and, in some cases, deleting other, smaller elements of my design. Integrating some graph paper into the final piece to serve as a delicate background really added some depth to the illustration - I have to credit my tutors for that one.
This course is insane. I have been at Weston College for six weeks and have already produced the same amount of work that I would have done in six months at school, and I love it. There are, of course, some blocks along the way (you've got to be prepared to suffer for your art), but this is to be expected. The creative sector is not the UK's second most-profitable industry because people decide to just give up.
So there we go, this journey ends. On a side note, I am going on a college journey to Penzance in November and also... to New York City in February 2016!
I had to scale back my graphics ideas in particular, using less detailed drawings and more shapes to give a better "graphic" and "branded" feel, which made my packaging look more official, professional and a lot less cluttered. Then there was the little hurdle of Creative Suite, where I had to frantically remember everything I'd learned from my work experience in order to get the final design I was looking for. I still think I could've made a tonne of improvements, but three weeks is not a long time, and graphic design is hard.
As for my editorial illustration, things were pretty smooth from the off. It was great coming up with the main element of my final design when I drew up my initial ideas - I doubt I would have finished within the time limit if things had happened differently. This meant that most of my time was spent tweaking, changing and, in some cases, deleting other, smaller elements of my design. Integrating some graph paper into the final piece to serve as a delicate background really added some depth to the illustration - I have to credit my tutors for that one.
This course is insane. I have been at Weston College for six weeks and have already produced the same amount of work that I would have done in six months at school, and I love it. There are, of course, some blocks along the way (you've got to be prepared to suffer for your art), but this is to be expected. The creative sector is not the UK's second most-profitable industry because people decide to just give up.
So there we go, this journey ends. On a side note, I am going on a college journey to Penzance in November and also... to New York City in February 2016!
Comments
Post a Comment