You're on my turf now, pal.
Haven't posted anything for a couple of weeks, mostly because my new course project has kicked off with all guns blazing - Visual Communication. A mixture of graphic design and illustration, it is proving to be my favourite part of the course so far.
Having to juggle two different projects at once isn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. This is mostly due to the fact that graphics and illustration bleed into one another quite nicely, so I have been finding myself taking elements from one project and flipping it into the other when my imagination level starts to run dry.
The two projects are relatively simple to describe. The graphics project involves designing the packaging decoration for a carton containing a certain commodity, which should be influenced by a specific location (both of which we were given at random). The illustration project's aim is to provide the illustration for an editorial. Really quite simple briefs indeed.
I had "Australasian" for my culture and "Ice" for my product in the graphics project. I began by diving straight into my preferred style of graphic art, with bold black lines and use of negative space accordingly, exploring the different textures one can obtain using a single black marker. It was from these snappy drawings that I began to dial back the complexity and revert to simpler shapes and virtually no outlines at all. I am now fine-tuning each element of my design (and will be using Adobe Illustrator to obtain the final graphics) before assembling my final design on a carton net.
We were provided with three editorials to choose from as the basis for our illustrations. I have chosen an article about "smart-clothes", which can speak to you and provide you with information on your bodily functions, such as heart rate (isn't that awesome?). I quickly brainstormed some initial ideas before exploring the overall composition of a developed piece further, combining specific elements from each of my initial ideas to draft a developed idea. I'm currently experimenting with a range of techniques which are brand new to me to give further depth and intrigue to my work.
Having to juggle two different projects at once isn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. This is mostly due to the fact that graphics and illustration bleed into one another quite nicely, so I have been finding myself taking elements from one project and flipping it into the other when my imagination level starts to run dry.
The two projects are relatively simple to describe. The graphics project involves designing the packaging decoration for a carton containing a certain commodity, which should be influenced by a specific location (both of which we were given at random). The illustration project's aim is to provide the illustration for an editorial. Really quite simple briefs indeed.
I had "Australasian" for my culture and "Ice" for my product in the graphics project. I began by diving straight into my preferred style of graphic art, with bold black lines and use of negative space accordingly, exploring the different textures one can obtain using a single black marker. It was from these snappy drawings that I began to dial back the complexity and revert to simpler shapes and virtually no outlines at all. I am now fine-tuning each element of my design (and will be using Adobe Illustrator to obtain the final graphics) before assembling my final design on a carton net.
We were provided with three editorials to choose from as the basis for our illustrations. I have chosen an article about "smart-clothes", which can speak to you and provide you with information on your bodily functions, such as heart rate (isn't that awesome?). I quickly brainstormed some initial ideas before exploring the overall composition of a developed piece further, combining specific elements from each of my initial ideas to draft a developed idea. I'm currently experimenting with a range of techniques which are brand new to me to give further depth and intrigue to my work.
Comments
Post a Comment