Blast from the past.

Wow! Back from NYC and feeling extremely refreshed. The trip was incredible, I was amazed at how much we saw in just five days. Perhaps you will be, too - you can check out all of the photos on my Flickr here.

Returning to Weston College, I've recently been working as part of a group to produce a Buster Keaton / Charlie Chaplin-style short film using Super 8 cameras. Suffice to say, it was a lot of fun to make, and I was really pleased with the negs when they were shown at the Cube cinema in Bristol. We're still in the process of developing the final film from negative to positive in Final Cut Pro, and the results of that will be viewable on this blog very soon. In the meantime, here are some images from behind the scenes at the Cube:












No idea what any of this stuff does, mind you. But I do know that seeing our film screened was fantastic...




We also watched some short silent films created by artists like Norman McLaren and Len Lye. The work that these guys delivered helped to launch the animated film in so many ways - just from scratching onto 16mm film, itself harder than it sounds, to put forward a narrative in their works. Thinking back to my documentary project, and all of the hassle effort I had to put into synching the audio with the visuals, it's crazy to think that McLaren and Lye had to do that without even knowing when the music would be present for them to sync. In fact,  I was amazed simply by the skill of etching tiny, precise shapes and characters onto the film. Truly incredible stuff.

Perhaps more incredible for me was Maja Oschmann and Thomas Stellmach's Virtuoso Virtual, which involved digitally-altered movements of ink through fluid to create a surprisingly compelling narrative. One thing that these short films really emphasised was the importance of music to create emotions in a silent film. Check them out!

In other news, I have a great idea for my final major project. Hard to describe, but you'll just have to wait and see! Also, I am set on going to Lincoln University, having had my first choice thoughts affirmed by a number of interviews. Things are really "rolling"! (ahem).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Benjamin, where have you been?"

"Wait, I'm supposed to be making something?"

End of the line...?