Breaking the Rules.
Welcome to the big leagues! It's time for my Final Major Project (fancy) and it's got to be good. Really good.
So I've got an idea together for an installation-type piece, possibly on a wall, and possibly pretty big. I'm looking further into the work of David Bailey (who I've really enjoyed studying); in particular, into his Box of Pinups (1964). I've discussed it previously - it's a collection of around 30 black-and-white portraits of many famous celebrities (including Michael Caine and the Kray twins). It's a monumental achievement for one man to photograph so many famous people, let alone to get away with his head after snapping Ronnie and Reggie.
I'm also a longtime fan of Banksy, a street graffiti artist from Bristol who keeps his identity secret. I think the best thing about Banksy is that he just creates art in its purest form - he does what he wants to do, where he wants to do it, and always manages to communicate a profound message accompanied by dry, often dark humour. His trademark stencil graffiti style also appeals to me a lot.
In light of these feelings, I'm responding by creating a stencil-inspired, vinyl cut piece which will communicate the need for independence and making oneself heard when society speaks otherwise.
In 2016, young people are an interesting bunch - we seem to have lost this desire to be independent, or at least it's been downloaded into our smartphones. There's no real driving force for social change like Bailey or Banksy have provided, so I want to create a piece that communicates this to people (especially young people).
So here's the plan. I'm going to start out by photographing some models under manual settings, so that I can increase my skill-set there. Then, the photos will be put into Adobe Illustrator to be rotoscoped over (in a similar fashion to my Representing Reality documentary project). This will leave me with some shapes for stencilling. I plan to take these stencil-like shapes and use a vinyl cutter to make them on a large scale. Finally, I'll set up my desired scene on a wall, along with the tagline "Breaking the Rules".
Some thoughts that I've had for the final scene include a Banksy-style display of young people through the ages (from '60s mods and rockers in the centre to '10s children at the sides). I feel like this idea could work to communicate my desired message about social change.
Hm. Plenty to think about!
So I've got an idea together for an installation-type piece, possibly on a wall, and possibly pretty big. I'm looking further into the work of David Bailey (who I've really enjoyed studying); in particular, into his Box of Pinups (1964). I've discussed it previously - it's a collection of around 30 black-and-white portraits of many famous celebrities (including Michael Caine and the Kray twins). It's a monumental achievement for one man to photograph so many famous people, let alone to get away with his head after snapping Ronnie and Reggie.
I'm also a longtime fan of Banksy, a street graffiti artist from Bristol who keeps his identity secret. I think the best thing about Banksy is that he just creates art in its purest form - he does what he wants to do, where he wants to do it, and always manages to communicate a profound message accompanied by dry, often dark humour. His trademark stencil graffiti style also appeals to me a lot.
In light of these feelings, I'm responding by creating a stencil-inspired, vinyl cut piece which will communicate the need for independence and making oneself heard when society speaks otherwise.
In 2016, young people are an interesting bunch - we seem to have lost this desire to be independent, or at least it's been downloaded into our smartphones. There's no real driving force for social change like Bailey or Banksy have provided, so I want to create a piece that communicates this to people (especially young people).
So here's the plan. I'm going to start out by photographing some models under manual settings, so that I can increase my skill-set there. Then, the photos will be put into Adobe Illustrator to be rotoscoped over (in a similar fashion to my Representing Reality documentary project). This will leave me with some shapes for stencilling. I plan to take these stencil-like shapes and use a vinyl cutter to make them on a large scale. Finally, I'll set up my desired scene on a wall, along with the tagline "Breaking the Rules".
Some thoughts that I've had for the final scene include a Banksy-style display of young people through the ages (from '60s mods and rockers in the centre to '10s children at the sides). I feel like this idea could work to communicate my desired message about social change.
Hm. Plenty to think about!
Comments
Post a Comment