"Sorry we were too caught up in our own doings - to do something."
Alright! FMP is really starting to roll out. I've had some crackin' new ideas and thought it would be best to detail them.
For a while I've been interested in Geography and the way that the world is running (take a look at my previous post on Chasing Ice here). I took Geog as an A-Level, in fact, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Anyway, a while back I watched a video that a mate of mine shared on Facebook and it really made me think. It was a piece called "Sorry" by rap artist/humanitarian Prince Ea (still got no idea how to pronounce that, but I do think he's a Christian), and it basically ticked all the boxes (seriously, check it out here - 10 billion times better than that Justin Bieber song). Rhythmic speech combined with a light music track in the background and some seriously cool 3D visuals (which look like they were made in Unity Web Player or Maya, actually); great stuff.
Inspired by the freshness of the message he was giving, I've come up with a very cool idea which is an addition to the designs I've been producing so far (and yes, they'll be released soon). Now then, this new idea...
In Prince Ea's video, he talks about how deforestation makes people money, and says that "[deforestation for money] wouldn't make [him] so sad, if there weren't so many pictures of leaves on [a dollar bill]". This gave me an idea to set up a composition like an art student's workstation, with scissors and Superglue (although not Superglue, because no plagiarism!), a dollar bill and a bare tree. This alludes to the message that people are cutting down trees purely for profit. To illustrate this a little better, here's the brainstormed plan I produced when this idea hit me at my grandparents' house:
I've started to realise this idea by photographing each of the elements. Today is the scissors, and I've taken an assortment of photos to get the best composition later. 'Ave a butcher's:
I went with the top image because of its pleasing proportion and perspective in relation to the frame and table, and began the rotoscope-style process in Adobe Illustrator. It was a relatively simple process of tracing over the scissors, incorporating lighter shadows (such as those on the table) in grey and darker ones (such as those on the scissors themselves) in black:
Here is the finished result with the background image removed. Really pleased with how it turned out, I think it references Bailey's signature style well, whilst remaining fresh and original.
Getting the right shapes to suggest shapes without the black outlines on the handle and blade was the trickiest part, but it became simple when I thought about where the light source was.
I repeated the process with the "tree" element of this design...
...and "skewed" a copy of the main trunk to give a shadow finish, adding similarly traced leaves from a dollar bill and £10 note, colour-popping them for emphasis:
Putting together the images has left me with the first stage of this design completed. I think it's coming together nicely in terms of the Banksy style of satirical poignancy:
Simple, affordable, and poignant - what's not to like?
For a while I've been interested in Geography and the way that the world is running (take a look at my previous post on Chasing Ice here). I took Geog as an A-Level, in fact, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Anyway, a while back I watched a video that a mate of mine shared on Facebook and it really made me think. It was a piece called "Sorry" by rap artist/humanitarian Prince Ea (still got no idea how to pronounce that, but I do think he's a Christian), and it basically ticked all the boxes (seriously, check it out here - 10 billion times better than that Justin Bieber song). Rhythmic speech combined with a light music track in the background and some seriously cool 3D visuals (which look like they were made in Unity Web Player or Maya, actually); great stuff.
Inspired by the freshness of the message he was giving, I've come up with a very cool idea which is an addition to the designs I've been producing so far (and yes, they'll be released soon). Now then, this new idea...
In Prince Ea's video, he talks about how deforestation makes people money, and says that "[deforestation for money] wouldn't make [him] so sad, if there weren't so many pictures of leaves on [a dollar bill]". This gave me an idea to set up a composition like an art student's workstation, with scissors and Superglue (although not Superglue, because no plagiarism!), a dollar bill and a bare tree. This alludes to the message that people are cutting down trees purely for profit. To illustrate this a little better, here's the brainstormed plan I produced when this idea hit me at my grandparents' house:
I've started to realise this idea by photographing each of the elements. Today is the scissors, and I've taken an assortment of photos to get the best composition later. 'Ave a butcher's:
I went with the top image because of its pleasing proportion and perspective in relation to the frame and table, and began the rotoscope-style process in Adobe Illustrator. It was a relatively simple process of tracing over the scissors, incorporating lighter shadows (such as those on the table) in grey and darker ones (such as those on the scissors themselves) in black:
Here is the finished result with the background image removed. Really pleased with how it turned out, I think it references Bailey's signature style well, whilst remaining fresh and original.
![]() |
Jean Shrimpton from Box of Pinups (David Bailey, 1964).[1] |
I repeated the process with the "tree" element of this design...
...and "skewed" a copy of the main trunk to give a shadow finish, adding similarly traced leaves from a dollar bill and £10 note, colour-popping them for emphasis:
Putting together the images has left me with the first stage of this design completed. I think it's coming together nicely in terms of the Banksy style of satirical poignancy:
![]() |
Slave Labour Mural (Banksy, 2012)[2] |
[1] www.collections.vams.ac.uk
[2] www.banksy.co.uk (Close-up)












Comments
Post a Comment